Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Name Search - You May Surprise Yourself!

For fun the other day, I searched my name (married) and then I searched my maiden name.  I was so surprised to find a video that was from 1986!  I was in the Miss Canada pageant that year, and there is a video on Youtube.com of the opening ceremonies that I was in.  I could spot myself in a couple of different scenes.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgNzOCdvs64

It's amazing how something from 24 years ago ends up on the internet!  It was before the personal computers and internet age, and I never dreamed this this would be on Youtube!  You never know when your past will pop up, or where.  I was also surpised to see my name on a list on a website called, Pageantopolis.  http://www.pageantopolis.com/international/canada_1980s.htm

From Wikipedia:

"Miss Canada was popular in 1970s, with up to 5 million viewers, but declined in the 1980s, until it was cancelled. Producers of the show cited mounting production costs, as the reason for cancellation, along with the absence of host Jim Perry, who went into semi-retirement after the 1991 pageant. The last winner was Miss Canada 1992 Nicole Dunsdon from British Columbia."

It's fun to search and find out who else shares your name, what they do, where they live, etc. You may also be pleasantly surprised and find a little trip down memory lane.  Finding this video, reminded me of the experience I had in the Miss Canada pageant.  Participating in the competition was quite remarkable and it made me feel like a celebrity.  I know people have strong opinions on  pageants (esp. women's groups who think pageants are degrading to women), but I also know they have changed a lot since I was in the Miss Canada Pageant (a scholarship competition).  Now there is a Miss Universe Canada pageant, check it out at:  http://www.beautiesofcanada.com/

Search your name (and maiden name if you're a woman) and where you live(d) and see what you come up with.  You may be surprised!  Let me know what you find.

Have a fantastic day!
~Angela

No comments: