Monday, May 17, 2010

Study Finds Internet Use Makes Us Happier

"Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks. ~Author Unknown"


There has been a new Bristish study released (May 2010) that reports that the internet makes us happy.  This article, Internet Use Makes Us Happier, reveals that it is actually making women happier then men!  Go figure.  I can honestly say, that from a woman's perspective, I definitely have a happier life because of my computer.  I can connect with my friends, I can research health topics, I can plan events, I can find answers to almost anything with a click of the mouse.  It helps keep my "home life organized".  I consider myself smart enough to wade through the information and take what I like and discard which is not fitting. 

Here's an excerpt from the article noted above:
"Overall, the study found that access to the Internet leads people to feel better about their lives. "Put simply, people with IT access are more satisfied with life even when taking account of income," said Michael Willmott, the social scientist who authored the study, at a press conference. "Our analysis suggests that IT has an enabling and empowering role in people's lives, by increasing their sense of freedom and control, which has a positive impact on well-being or happiness." "

I know for sure that not only has the internet increased my sense of well-being, but so has my blackberry.  When I look at my kids with their iPod touches, I see that it has brought increased levels of happiness to them, too.  My husband uses technology not only at home, but work too. He always talks about how his boss wants the very best for their lab.  Technology (if used right, in moderation), can be a great tool for life. Any new technology that is introduced has the potential to make life better and ultimately, happier.

The Gross National Happiness index (vs. GDP) is something new that I just heard about, and I am happy to learn about (pun intended!).   Some countries look beyond the Gross National Product, and look at measuring quality of life or social progress in more holistic and psychological terms.  If more people had access to computers (esp. women!) it would make a happier world. 

Excuse me, but I have to go now and do some surfing and connecting with others on the internet!

Have a great day!
~Angela

No comments: