Thursday, July 1, 2010

Live Like You've Won the Lottery


My husband and I used to buy lottery tickets faithfully, every year.  We had a "subscription" and we would use the same numbers every draw, twice weekly.  We spent hundreds, maybe even thousands on lottery tickets.  Back then, we thought winning the lottery would make us happier.  Promises of, "It only takes one ticket!" and, "Live your dreams to the Max" are everywhere. 

On the bottom of the lottery website, there is a disclaimer: 

"Although “good luck” and “best of luck” are common expressions of goodwill, the idea of “lucky numbers” is a myth. Lottery games are games of chance, and the outcome is entirely random. So, don’t overspend on lottery tickets, thinking there is some way to “beat the system”. There isn’t. It only takes one ticket to win, and buying hundreds won’t substantially change your odds of winning."

The odds of winning the lottery are so low, that I have decided to start living my life now like I have already won the lottery.  When I think about how my life would be if I won BIG, I think about travelling, living in a nice house, having nice things around me, and spending more time on leisure activities.  Studies have shown that people who win the lottery still "work", and find purpose in their lives.  Their work is usually related to charity, or in a volunteer capacity.

There is a TLC TV show called, "The Lottery Changed My Life".  There are stories about real people, and they talk about how their life changed since winning big.  Some people manage their money real well, others blow it. 

What I want people to know is that it's okay to have dreams, like winning the lottery, but in the meantime, don't waste your time "waiting to win big".  Live like you've won the lottery already.  Do things (on a smaller scale) that you would do if you did win big. Put some thought into that, and you'll be richer for it.  I know I am richer for the fact that I don't buy lottery tickets any more, and I am living my life to the fullest.

Have a rich and rewarding day!

~ Angela

1 comment:

Angela G. Gentile said...

I found this interesting article about lottery winners. Wanted to share it here. Explores the upsides and downsides of winning the lottery, and if money brings happiness or not (it does, but up to a certain point only).
Cheers!
Angela
http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/01/07/lottery.winning.psychology/index.html