Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Wedding Anniversaries - A Time to Celebrate


"For two people in a marriage to live together day after day is unquestionably the one miracle the Vatican has overlooked." - Bill Cosby

Today my husband and I celebrate 20 years of marriage. We have actually been celebrating since February of this year, when we went on a Caribbean Cruise with a large group - including all of his family!  This past weekend, we went to a dinner theatre, and we spent the evening with another couple.  We went to Celebrations, and we saw the production called, "Greased".  It was a lot of fun, and it included songs from the movie Grease, plus a lot of other oldies.  There was humour, fun, and romance.  My husband and I were up on stage, with a number of other couples, celebrating their anniversaries that night as well.  There was a couple who were married for 45 years (that's more than twice as long as us!).  Another man got on his hands and knees and bowed to the husband.  The Celebrations staff asked the husband, "What is the secret to staying together so long?", and he said, "Just don't say too much".  The audience roared with laugher.  The wife was asked the same question, and she said the key to a long marriage is to "Love and forgive".  These were wise words coming from people who had been together a long time.

I am blessed with a happy marriage, and I am fortunate to be where I am today.  I think it's important to celebrate marriage more often than once a year.  Take the time to be thankful for what you have together.  I am in the process of planning a 50th Wedding Anniversary party for my in-laws. I told them that I want to organize a party for them that will include dancing and celebrations.  I told them that they deserve it.  They are hoping to have about 70 people there to share their Golden Anniversary with. 

As you look at your own life, and those around you that are celebrating milestones in their relationships and marriages, be thankful for those loving relationships.  They are the foundations of families, and they are the models for our children and grandchildren.

"Chains do not hold a marriage together. It is threads, hundreds of tiny threads which sew people together through the years."  - Simone Signoret


Have a fantastic day!
~Angela

No comments: