Sunday, August 1, 2010

ILY



The American Sign Language (ASL) sign for "I Love You" has become a popular hand gesture used by many Americans and and Americanized cultures.  It is a combination of the letters I, L and Y in the ASL. 

The pinky finger up is the I, the thumb and index finger is the L and the Y is represented by the pinky finger and thumb up.  Put it all together and you have ILY for I Love You.  I was searching for pictures on the internet with this symbol, and I came across a picture of President Obama using this hand gesture, pictures of stamps and a beauty queen walking down the aisle on her victory lap.


Wikipedia says that this sign is a "very informal way of expressing a number of positive emotions ranging from general esteem to love for the recipient of the sign."

Think about ways you could use this gesture.  Recognize it when you see it.  Look for it.  Have fun!

~ Angela Gentile


No comments: