Saturday, July 31, 2010

Another Door Opens


"In the end, a job is not just a job; it's who you are...
and if you want to change who you are, well first,
you have to change what you do". 
-- From the movie, Repo Men (2010).

Changing jobs is quite difficult in some ways.  My last day of work was very bittersweet.  I had formed great relationships with everyone in the office, and I found myself happy to be moving on, but sad to be leaving the people that I had spent most of my waking hours with over the last 3 and a half years.  I had formed many special bonds with my co-workers, and those mutual feelings became more apparent over those last few days.  In addition to a celebratory luncheon with 15 co-workers, I had three coffee-break parties, and my coworkers brought in baking and goodies.  I received beautiful cards and parting gifts, including a gorgeous pink and silver necklace that I wore on my last day.  I received a bouquet of red and fuchsia flowers that were cheerful and bright, and a beautiful planter filled with lush greenery and yellow petals.  I also received a photo album of pictures of my co-workers.  That's how they will be remembered.  Sitting at their desks, smiling, and taking time out for a photo.  All the hugs on that last day were really special, too.

As I reflect on my last 10 years with the Home Care Program I am proud of all that I've accomplished.  I feel that I have gained a tremendous amount of experience and knowledge.  I am glad to be moving on and ready for new adventures and challenges.  My new career will offer me learning opportunities and a chance to develop my skills even further as a Geriatric Mental Health Clinician. 

I am happy to have had a wonderful team to work with in my last few years and grateful for my next opportunity.  I look forward to keeping in touch with my former coworkers, and meeting new people in my next job.  When one door closes, another one opens.  There are opportunities everywhere.  Change is scary, but sometimes necessary.  An open door awaits.

Take care,

~ Angela Gentile

No comments: