Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Newly Discovered Family Member


"A cousin is a sister you never had."--Anonymous

Back in July 2007,  I received an email from my Dad. He told me about a cousin that I didn't know I had.  My Uncle (my Dad's brother) had fathered a child when he was about 18 years old, and both he and the  birth mother decided to give up this baby girl for adoption.  MaryAnne started seeking out her birth father, and found out that he had died only a couple years prior to her looking for him.  She found his brother, (my Dad), and that's how it all began.

MaryAnne and I have developed a special bond over the last three years.  MaryAnne and her husband Randy were over for dinner the other night.  The resemblance to my Uncle is so strong. I am happy to have her in my life.  Having a newly-found "sister-cousin" has been very special.  She lives only about 45 minutes away, in a small town.  She's only a couple years younger than me.

I am sad when I think about all the years that we lost that we could have had together, but I am grateful that she has found me.  I treasure our relationship and consider it a special gift.  I don't have any blood relatives in the city where I live, so she's the closest relative to me at this time.  We share a bond that is very special.  She is a wonderful person, and I love her. She's funny (just like her Dad was) and she's kind and caring.  She gives the most wonderful hugs, too.

We hear about long-lost family members reuniting with their families on TV.  This time it was real for me.  She has been a blessing in our lives. 

Cousins by blood but friends by choice!

Have a wonderful day!

~Angela Gentile 

No comments: