Sunday, July 11, 2010

Swimming With the Dolphins




In February 2010, I had the pleasure of swimming with the dolphins in Cozumel, Mexico. I had my family with me. This was one of the items on my "bucket list".  Now I know not everyone can afford to do something like this (it's not cheap) and we certainly had to budget for it.

The dolphin is a beautiful mammal that lives in salt water.  They can be trained to do tricks, and they remind me a lot of a dog.  Their skin is very smooth, and they are very gentle, smart and strong creatures.  I felt the power of their strength when they lifted me up out of the water.  This was an exhilarating experience.  At one point I had the male dolphin laying in my arms.  He felt so big, and kind, and powerful.  To hold this magnificent creature in my arms was quite a special moment.  We have lots of pictures, and we purchased a DVD of our family experience.

Dolphins are a life-saver, and have been known to save the lives of humans and other creatures when under attack from sharks.  One of the tricks the dolphins did in Cozumel was "pull us in".  One dolphin on either side of us, and we held onto their fins.  This is a typical rescue maneuver.

If you ever get a chance to swim with the dolphins, I would say give it a try.  They are wonderful creatures that will astound you.  They are very friendly and gentle. 

Have a great day!

~ Angela Gentile

No comments: