Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Lucky Stones

Lucky Stones (with holes) collected on South Beach, Gimli
While vacationing in Gimli, Manitoba, I saw an older man searching for something on Gimli beach.  I approached him, and asked, "Hi!  What are you looking for?"  He said he was looking for "stones with holes" for his granddaughter, who was also searching further down, with her father.

I started looking for these hole stones, and found a couple.  Then I went down the beach on South Gimli, and I found many more (10 in all, see picture above).  I also found some other interesting stones that I kept.

I put one on a chain, and hung it around my neck.  A woman I had just met commented on my necklace.  She said, "You are wearing a Lucky Stone!"  She then explained that her friend, Johanna Brierley, makes jewellery out of Lucky Stones.   On her website she writes,

Hole stones are legended to be symbols of good luck.

The woman I had just met was wearing an earring and necklace set, and the necklace looked like this:

Lucky Stone necklace, casted in precious metal
 (Johanna Brierley Jewellery Design)

Next time you are on the beach, search for a Lucky Stone.  It's a great way to spend time on the beach and who knows, you may just get lucky!

Have an awesome day!

Angela Gentile


No comments: