Thursday, May 6, 2010

Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow

"Out with the Old, in with the New".

I finally sold my old bedroom furniture.  I had two old wooden antique-style dressers since I was a child.  One was a mirrored vanity with five drawers and a chair, and one was a chest of drawers, with a "secret drawer".  I put the ad on Kijiji (local, online, free want ads), and I received a lot of interest, especially on the vanity.  I think there is a special group of people out there who really enjoy antiques and the sentimentality that comes along with it. 

These dressers have been in my family for over 50 years.  My grandmother had them given to her, and she passed them along to my mom, who in turn passed them to me.  I had enjoyed these antiques that my grandfather so carefully maintained.  There was a handle missing on the large chest of drawers, and he told me that he had to put on a handle that was completely different, but that made it special to me.  Yes, I am sad that I have to part with these special pieces of furniture, but happy to have replaced them with something newer and bigger.  My husband and I can enjoy our new furniture for many years to come.

A woman, about 30 years old, came to our house this week to buy my old dressers.  She had a three and a half month old baby with her, her name was Emma.  When Sheri saw the furniture, she immediately fell in love with it.  Her face lit up and she smiled.  She said it was exactly what she was looking for, as she wanted to decorate her bedroom in the antique style.  She lives in the country.  I told her the story about the secret drawer and the missing handle.  I was so glad to sell this set to her, because I could see that she was so happy to take it.  I imagined one day, her little baby Emma  would inherit these heirlooms.  I am thankful that Sheri came along and it felt so right to pass my furniture on to someone who was going to look after it and treasure it.  Hopefully she will be able to keep it in her family for another 50 years.

Have a great memory-making day,

~Angela

No comments: