Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Awestruck By a World Class Act - Madonna




O
n Saturday, November 3, 2012, I experienced a surreal moment in my life.  I am a Madonna fan, and I have been following her since the early '80s.  One of my dreams was to see her in concert.  I grew up with her, and I have had my share of ups and downs with her (I was mad at her when she put out her SEX book).  Love her or hate her, either way, she put on an AMAZING concert.  The MDNA Concert Tour 2012 was quite a spectacle.  She chilled and thrilled an audience of 13,000 fans in St. Paul, Minnesota.  She had contortionists, and at times it felt like a "freak show".  Her style has always been to stimulate controversy, and she is happy if you are left with something to talk about, good or bad.  For me, a true Madonna fan, it meant being in the same room with an icon.  She is the true Queen of Pop.

I was entertained by the fans as we waited for 2.5 hours for her to come on stage.  Drag queens, gay men holding hands, Madonna-wannabees, 80's-clad "Virgins".  Most of the fans were over 30 I'd say.  A very diverse crowd.

I ordered a bottle of water, and I was asked if it was okay to put it into a plastic cup.  I asked "Why?", and the salesperson said, "Madonna wants all the drinks in a plastic cup".  I obliged, as it was Madonna's request. Seemed a waste, but there must be a reason for this.

She walked a tightrope.  She had her 12-year-old son Rocco up on stage, break dancing.  She had drummers suspended from the ceiling.  She "stripped" and showed off her bruised bottom, announcing, "When you do what I do, sometimes you get your ass kicked!".  She did amazing physical acts - in stilettos   She is not only a musician, but she is a political and social activist.  She promotes acceptance of everyone.  Being in business for 30 years gets you some recognition.  Recognition that is truly deserved.

At one point, she said, "I don't care who you vote for, as long as you vote for Obama".  The audience cheered.  She also said, "Vote No to the Marriage Amendment".  Again, the concertgoers cheered.

Madonna is 54, and she is showing no signs of slowing down.  Her message was one of spirituality, personal growth, and acceptance.  My favourite parts of the show were "Like a Prayer", and the last song, "Celebration".  People left the concert on a high note, making you want more - more of her oldies.  We'll have to wait for her "Greatest Hits Tour" for that.  She says MDNA was based on the theme, "From Darkness to Light".  Each song was a spectacle in and of itself.

I was curious about what she had tattooed on her back – I found out that it was a spiritual message.  It was three Hebrew letters, alef, blamed, and dalet, that stood for God and help ward off evil.

I bought three souvenirs – a Concert Tour Book ($20), a Keychain ($10), and a glow-in-the-dark wristband ($5).  I was contemplating buying a t-shirt, but the price tag of $40 scared me away and I figured I'd never wear it again.

Well done, Madonna.  Can't wait to see what you do next.  You are still a very inspiring woman.  And I am still a fan.

Cheers,
Angela G. Gentile




No comments: