Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Love freely - Closer to Nature with Pets


"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France


I know pets aren’t for everyone, and if you’ve ever owned a pet, you know that there is a great responsibility in doing so. Many pets have come and gone in my life. Pets can offer so much to our lives. Dogs are often treated as a child or a sibling in the family unit. Some pets spend most of their time in cages and enjoy the daily attention, some pets just come to visit us (like the neighbour’s cat), and some enhance our lives so much - plus they get us outside more.


Dogs love to be walked. Last night I went for a walk with my husband, and we took our dog, Rocky. We saw so many other people out with their dogs as well. My son took the dog for a run with him earlier the same day. My husband took Rocky out once again for a run (with his bike) later that evening. When he came back in, he said, “You should have seen Rocky smiling! He met up with about six other dogs, and I am sure I saw a smile on his face”. I looked at Rocky when he got back, and he was panting, and he actually did look like he was wearing a smile.

We can learn a lot from our pets, and the joy and pleasure that comes with pet ownership is only one you can know once you’ve experienced it. Again, I know pet ownership isn’t for everyone (esp. dogs), but I am sure if you want to have a pet in your life, there’s one out there for you. Visit your local pet store and get some ideas. Even if it's to hold a rabbit, or check out the birds. The kids in your life will thank you for it!
Have a wonderful day!
Angela

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, very well written, you could also have talked about cuddling with Gypsy. :)

Anonymous said...

You were looking at the wrong end, dogs laugh with their tails. LOL

C