Sunday, December 19, 2010

Tasty Treats

Puffed Wheat Cake
 A few years ago, one of my good friends brought over a Puffed Wheat Cake for dessert.  I fell in love with it, and I asked her for the recipe.  I started making this tasty, gooey, chewy treat and now I bring it to family gatherings for special occasions. The kids really love it.  My daughter and I like to make this together.  It's really easy to make and I thought I'd share the recipe here.  Don't forget to lick the bowl!

     Puffed Wheat Cake

     3/4 cup butter
     3/4 cup corn syrup (Bee Hive is best - substitutions don't always work!)
     1-1/2 cups brown sugar
     4-1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
     8 cups puffed wheat

In a large pot, mix the first four ingredients together (I use a rubber spatula).  Bring to a boil, stirring for 1 minute. Carefully mix in the puffed wheat.  Spread into a greased 9" x 13" pan.  Pat down with damp hands or the bottom of a glass.  If you'd like, you can keep some of the liquid mixture out and spread it on top.  I add sprinkles at the end for a festive touch.  Let cool.  Cut into squares and serve!

Happy holidays!

~ Angela Gentile

No comments: