Monday, October 18, 2010

Putting Pen to Paper

"The act of putting pen to paper encourages pause for thought, this in turn makes us think more deeply about life, which helps us regain our equilibrium."  ~Norbet Platt
 
These days most of us spend more time on the computer, typing away at the keys, than we do writing the old fashioned way, with pen and paper. Before computers, there were typewriters.  Producing reports, filling out forms and writing up essays were the main reasons people used typewriters.  Now, we see computers, laptops and hand-held devices everywhere.  A quick note to someone via e-mail or Facebook is so much easier than picking up the phone, or writing a letter and sending it in the mail.

When I am feeling "unsettled" or "out-of-sorts", I find that writing down my thoughts and feelings on good old-fashioned paper really helps me get clarity and sometimes I surprise myself.  This expression of my inner self comes out, almost instantly, as the pen hits the paper.  The action of body, mind and spirit coming together in an act of self-expression provides me with comfort and usually offers me a chance to realize what is going on or what I need to do.  I usually don't get the same effect when I type on the computer.

If you are interested in self-expression and connecting with your inner self, take your time finding yourself a nice journal.  Find a journal that you really like.  There are big ones, little ones, some are lined, and I've even seen journals with sparkly gems glued all over the front cover.  You may choose a plain old note book, or a binder with loose leaf.  A locked diary may be something you prefer.  Anything will do.  Just make sure you feel free to express your innermost thoughts and feelings and your writing will remain private and safe.  Find a quiet space, and write.  Think of it as a private chat with your inner self.  Don't worry about grammar and spelling, don't even bother crossing the t's or dotting the i's.  Just write!


I have been a journal writer most of my life.  The other night I went to my bedroom, closed the door and wrote about how I was feeling.  I gained so much clarity after writing out three pages.  That night and the next day I was so peaceful and relaxed.  It made a big difference for me.   Writing about all the joy in your life and things you are grateful for are also ways that you can use your journal.  What other ways can you make pen and paper work for you?

Have a great day!

~ Angela Gentile

No comments: