Saturday, June 26, 2010

High as a Kite

“The optimist pleasantly ponders how high his kite will fly; the pessimist woefully wonders how soon his kite will fall.”

-- William Arthur Ward

I have always been intrigued by kites.  As a kid, it was amazing to see that with the right kind of conditions, you could make this small triangular-shaped object fly really high in the sky.  It made me feel in control and I was amazed with the mystery of flight.  I remember going out with my grandfather, into the school yard, and we got that kite so high that I could hardly see it anymore.  I was thrilled.  Little skill is needed to fly a kite, it's getting it up in the air that's the challenge.  Just the right amount of resistance is needed. 

I was watching America's Got Talent the other day, and I watched an episode that included 17-year-old student, Connor Doran, and his very supportive mother.  He has had epilepsy since he was 4 years old, and he has found an activity that has brought him self-confidence and has helped bring a calming presence to his life.  He flies 4-line kites, and he competed on the television show.  He looked so happy, and his mother's support was very touching.  The judges also commented that it was a "spiritual" experience.  Please take a few minutes to watch this video clip, you will be moved, I am sure.  What I learned from Connor is that it is important to be present in what you are doing, and that mindfulness can bring about peace and contentment.  The music, Angel by Sarah McLachlan, was also a very good choice for this performance.  Good job, Connor!




I witnessed his graciousness at the end, when he bowed down.  He appears to be thankful for all he has, illness and all. 

Have a wonderful day!

~ Angela

No comments: