Monday, May 3, 2010

Mission: Fun at akoha.com


"Add a Little Awesome to Your Life!" ~ahoka website

I was in a waiting room one day, and I picked up the March 2010 edition of the Reader's Digest.  There was an article on a Canadian man, named Austin Hill - A Canadian Innovator.  Hill talked about his vision that what makes people rich is not the amount of financial wealth and assets they have, but it's their "social capital".  He believes that it's not money that matters the most, but it's one's reputation.  Those who live life with meaning and purpose, and who have a strong sense of community are more respected and idolized.  He says that love is more important than money.  His vision intrigued me, and I wanted more.

A new website, called "Akoha" was developed by Hill.  Akoha is a new free service (more like a game I think) that invites it's registered members to participate in hundreds of "missions", or real-world activities. The missions are simple and fun and they let you interact with the world around you in a positive way.  In return, you get feedback from your friends.  These missions can be played on their site from your computer or laptop (which I have done), or you can play on an iPhone.  The missions I've done already (my username is ladybrightside) have been fairly simple, yet meaningful to me.  My entries so far have been related to:  saying thank you in another language, signs of spring, and volunteerism.  I have made new friends, and earned "virtual" gifts and awards.  The more missions I play, the more awards I'll earn and that gets me closer to achieving Guru status.  So far, I have "Player" status.

It's really easy to sign up, it's free, and it's all good.  I've made contact with Austin Hill, and he's already commented on one of my missions.  It's lots of fun, and I invite you to give it a try. 

~ladybrightside ♥

UPDATE: Akoha is no longer in operation as of August 15, 2011.  See this article for more details: http://blog.akoha.com/

No comments: