Friday, February 17, 2012

Together or Separate?




For Valentine's Day, my husband and I went out for dinner at Olive Garden.  I love Italian food, and Olive Garden is one of my favourite Italian restaurants.  We planned to have a later dinner, without the kids (it was Valentine's Day - you know, a date).  When we arrived, we were told we would have a 40-minute wait, so we went to the lounge and had a drink.  I had a strawberry margarita (with a real strawberry), and my husband had a beer.  Within 30 minutes, we were seated in the restaurant.

Our server was a lovely, young lady.  She was prompt, efficient and polite.  She was quite busy and she served our bread sticks, salad, soup and pasta in a friendly, pleasant way.

At the end of our meal, we passed on the dessert, and my husband asked for the bill.

     At that point she asked, "Together or separate?"

"Together", replied my husband without hesitation.

Satisfied with that answer, she smiled, turned and walked away.  At that point, my husband and I looked at each other.  We were both smiling, and feeling quite amused.

For all the 25 years we have been out dining together (married almost 22 years), I don't think we have ever been asked if our bill was to come as one bill or two.  We just had to laugh.  Did it not seem like we were a couple?  Did we look like we were "dating"?  Did we look like "friends" or maybe we looked like we were doing "business" together?  On Valentine's Day?  Or is it just that servers are not to assume that a couple would want one bill?  Maybe women these days insist on paying their own way?  I'm not sure, but it sure came as a surprise.

We will never forget this Valentine's Day date.  The night we were asked if our bills were "together or separate".

Have an awesome day!

Angela Gentile

No comments: