Sunday, June 20, 2010

Dad's Day



"If the new American father feels bewildered and even defeated, let him take comfort from the fact that whatever he does in any fathering situation has a fifty percent chance of being right." - Bill Cosby


Every year, people all over celebrate Father's Day.  This is a time to honour the men in our lives who are and  have been a parent and who devote their time to raising their children, nurturing and loving them. 

What is a father?  A father is someone who you can count on when you're scared; big strong arms that can hold you when you're anxious or frightened.  Fathers offer encouragement and advice, and always try to help solve any problem you have.  Dads are usually solution-focused, so when you have a problem, Dad is usually there to help. 

When I was growing up, I had a great father, but I also had two grandfathers who were special to me.  My fathers taught me the importance family values and strong work ethics.  I was encouraged by my dad to achieve more and I thank him for that.  Now, I have a father and a father-in-law.  It is wonderful to see how these men have matured, and now have grandchildren to nurture, teach and love.

A very special father in my life is my husband.  He is a wonderful father to our two children.  He is helpful around the house, and he's someone I can count on as part of the parent team.  He himself has a good, strong work ethic, and prides himself on working hard.  He calls it the "labour of love".  Dads all over the world teach us what the true meaning of the phrase "labour of love" is. 

Thanks to all the Dads (both living and those who have passed) out there.  Thanks for all you do - it's greatly appreciated.  Today is your day.  Relax, have a rest, watch some sports, or go fishing.  Do what you want to do.  You deserve it!

Here's a little something to remind us just how special Dads really are (1:03).




Have a great day.

~Angela

No comments: