Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A Woman's Place is in the Mall

"Whoever said money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to go shopping." ~Bo Derek

When I was younger, my mother and I used to go out shopping together, and this was a time that we bonded doing something that we both loved.  My mother would watch me trying on new clothes, or we would watch each other get excited about finding something that we wanted.  My mom also told me that her mother used to take her to downtown Toronto, and they would go shopping together when she was young.

Now I find myself taking my daughter out shopping.  This is a time when we bond, and we share a common interest.  It is especially fun when the two of us can go on a weekend get-away, and go somewhere that is different.  When you go to stores that aren't found in your local community, it's fun because you get to see different things.

There is a term used for the feeling you get when you go shopping.  It's called, Retail therapy.  I used to go shopping when I felt down, and if I bought something new it would cheer me up.  It's the fun of it, getting out with the public, stimulating your senses with new smells, textures, colours, bright lights, music.  It's especially thrilling when you find that item that you've been looking for, and so desperately "need".  I know for myself, I usually feel uplifted and happier after I have been out shopping, whether I buy something or not (just be careful of the dangers of buyer's remorse -when you spend too much money!). 

I also enjoy reading books by Sophie Kinsella.  She has a Shopaholic Seriers, and the first book is called, Confessions of a Shopaholic.  The storylines are quite funny, and it's entertaining to go on an adventure of shopping with Becky.  The first two books were made into a movie, called, Confessions of a Shopaholic.  See the movie trailer here

If you are feeling down, and want a lift, it's always fun to go out shopping, especially to a mall (even if you don't buy something).  It's nice to treat yourself and make yourself feel special.  Buying something for someone else is also rewarding.   Giving is always a good thing!

Happy shopping!

~Angela

No comments: