Thursday, May 27, 2010

Shop and Give

I saw a story on CNN the other day, that inspired me to write about companies that are generous and help others in need.  The shoe company, TOMS, sells shoes and boots for men, women and youth.  They sell "Tiny Toms" for young children, every day shoes, and they even have "wedding" shoes.  For every pair of shoes they sell, they will donate a pair of shoes to a child who is in need.  Their most recent project is in Haiti.  They have an online store, and I was browsing through their website, and I felt a good feeling as I looked at the pictures of people who wear the shoes and send in their photos and stories.  For the consumer who buys TOMS shoes, they are helping a child in need as well.  TOMS calls it their "One for One" program.  I am sure there are many other companies out there that do good for those less fortunate, and I felt that TOMS is a noteworthy company that should be recognized as such.  So far, they have given over 600,000 shoes to children in need.

One of the giant corporate contributors to our society in Canada is Wal-Mart.  Believe it or not, Wal-Mart donated and raised a record $25 million in 2009.  "At Walmart Canada, corporate social responsibility is part of our DNA," said David Cheesewright, President and CEO of Walmart Canada. "We are committed to making a positive difference in the communities where we do business."  When I shop at Wal-Mart, I can be assured that my purchases are also helping those in need, right here in Canada.

A big boquet goes out to those companies that help their local communities and the world.  Keep up the good work!

Have a wonderful day!
~Angela

No comments: