Saturday, June 22, 2013

Going Outside of Your Comfort Zone


On Tuesday, June 18, 2013, my husband (47) went on an adventure.  He decided that he wanted to experience skydiving, and went on a "tandem skydive".  That's where you go up in an airplane, and and you get strapped onto another person who is a trained skydiver.  He joined up with a bunch of others who also wanted to experience this.  They all go to the same gym, and I refer to them as the,"Goodlife Daredevils".

My husband said he really liked it.  In fact, he summed up his experience in a text message to me in one word:  "Kool!!!!!".   I knew when I saw the five exclamation marks, he was impressed.  When he got home, he described his experience to me and our children.  He said that he felt safe, and the only time he was in any way anxious, was when he was sitting on the floor of the airplane, at 11,000 feet, with his feet hanging over the edge. He could feel the wind whipping through his pant legs.  He said to himself, "Am I really going to do this?", and before he knew it, he was free-falling in the sky.  He could feel the cold air putting pressure onto his face.  This lasted for about 15-20 seconds, then the parachute opened up at around 5,500 feet.  He said everything became very peaceful and quiet at that moment.  The instructor handed him the controls for a couple thousand feet, then took them back for the smooth landing.  His ride was about 3-4 minutes.

He was told that only 10% of people will do something outside of their comfort zone.  And of those 10%, only 1% of those will skydive.  So, that makes 1 in 1000 people.  My husband is one of them.  I know of a few others who have done this as well.  They are brave souls.  You have to be able to put your complete trust in another person, as well as technology (that the parachute will open up).  I am afraid of roller coasters, so I doubt I can do this!

Overall, it was an exhilarating experience for him.  I say kudos to all those people who can do this.  My son says he's going to do this, soon. 

I now ask my hsuband, "What's next?!".

Have an awesome day!

-- Angela G. Gentile

No comments: