Monday, January 31, 2011

Get Out Your Game of Scrabble

Scrabble is a classic board game that I have been playing for as long as I can remember.  I was about 10 years old when I first played this game with my Mom, Dad, Grandmother and Grandfather up at the lake.  My word-building skills quickly developed as I took those seven small lettered tiles and transformed them into words that would fit on the playing board like a big crossword puzzle. I inherited my Mom's old game, and continued to play with family and friends.  The other night, I played with my husband with my new, Premier Wood Edition.  We cheat a little bit, by keeping a dictionary handy and make reference to it as we play.  You can learn about new words that you never thought existed, or you can hone your skills with words that you have some familiarity with.  Word-building skills and brain exercise as I call it, is very important.  Keeping the mind healthy and strong is just as important as keeping the body healthy.  I remember my Grandmother playing scrabble with my Mom and I into her later years.  Scrabble is a great game to play (ages 8 and up) for 2-4 players.

Check out this great video by Kalan Porter - "Scrabble - Take That, Grandma"!  It's set to the song, Hurray.  Make sure you watch it to the end, it's funny!



Have a great day!

~ Angela Gentile

No comments: