Sunday, February 3, 2013

(Mature) Student Life




After doing a graduate studies survey, I came to realize that I am in the top end of the age group for students.  I fit into the last category, which was "45 and over".  At age 46, I decided to go back to school to get my Masters Degree in Social Work (part-time).  Juggling full-time work, a family, a marriage and school has certainly been an adjustment.  I have come up with some tips that may come in handy for you if you one day decide to go back to school.

- Use white noise to drown out household noises and distractions, such as kids, music playing, TV, people talking. I have a clock radio that plays sounds like "waterfall" for example.

- Find a quiet room to study. I use my bedroom.

- Minimize distractions by putting your cell phone in another room or put it on "silent".

- Set a goal and a reward. For example, after I read an article I will reward myself with a healthy snack.

- Have herbal or decaffeinated tea as a warm drink. It will comfort you.

- If you work full-time, set aside time on your days off to study and let people know you are not going to be available. Make use of downtime to read your textbooks and/or other readings.

- Get to know what is your most productive study time. Mine is early morning to mid-afternoon.

- Instructors appreciate students with life experience. Share your knowledge and insight in class when appropriate.

- Ensure you get enough exercise. Exercise helps release endorphins and encourages blood flow to the brain which will make you more alert and possibly smarter. It is also a great stress reliever.

-  Never complain about the time taken to attend classes or study. You are a role model for the younger people in your life and this is a choice you made so make it a positive experience. 


- Encourage your pet to be your study buddy.  They don't distract and they are usually very quiet.


Have a great day!


Angela G. Gentile

No comments: