Thursday, March 24, 2011

Home Gym vs. Gym Membership


I have put my gym membership on hold.  I have been going to the same gym for over 3 years, and now I have the option to workout at home.  My daughter wanted to get a gym membership, because she wanted to do some cardio.  As it turns out, getting her a gym membership would be very costly, we'd have to purchase her personal trainings sessions, and we'd have to be the ones bringing her to and from the gym.  We ended up finding a really good deal on an elliptical, so we went for it.  We have a spare room that we have decided to change into a home gym.  

So far, it's been a pleasure to use the elliptical in our home gym.  We also have a yoga mat, and my son recently bought me a stability ball for my birthday.  He has some weights that he is letting us use as well.
 
I am already in the habit of working out 2-3 times a week, and I have used my home gym about 4 times since we set up the elliptical last week.  My daughter has also been using it.

I can already see all the benefits of working out in the home gym.  
  • save money in the long run
  • save gas/time driving to/from the gym
  • no inconvenience of parking at the gym, bringing in the bag of clothes/shoes, changing, putting stuff in the locker, and reversing the order again
  • I can sing out loud to the music I play (I had to refrain from singing out loud at the gym)
  • I don't have to worry about germs and disinfecting the equipment like what is expected of all members of the gym
We are considering painting the room a nice bright yellow (right now it's blue and gray).  I want to put some inspirational posters and pictures up and maybe some mirrors.  We have a TV that we will be hooking up so we can watch TV when we are working out. I have an extra fan that we will set up in that room to help keep ourselves cool. 

I was trying to figure out how long it will take for the home gym to pay for itself, when compared to paying for a gym membership.  Looks like it'll be one year and a month or two. If you include the cost of my daughter's membership, then it's already paid for itself!

I have told my family that when the door to our home gym is closed, that means I am working out and don't want to be disturbed.  Similar to when I went out to the gym, I wasn't available.  I still schedule my home gym workouts on the calendar, just like I did when I went out to the gym.  

The benefits of working out at a real gym are...well, I guess if you are paying for a membership you may feel more obligated to go.  This may increase your chances of sticking to a regular workout routine.  When you are at a gym, there are other people to look at and be motivated by.  There is a wider variety of equipment and programs available as well.  

I have 6 months to decide if I will be going back to the real gym.  So far, it doesn't look like it.

Home Gym or Gym Membership. What do you prefer?

Have a great day!

~ Angela Gentile

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great article! A home gym makes sense, especially when life gets in the way of going to the gym!

Angela G. Gentile said...

Update: My husband painted the home gym a beautiful, bright, cheerful yellow! It's made a world of difference. Now, we have to find some great posters and/or mirrors.