Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Ukrainian Perogies

Perogies from Ann's Perogey Palace, Winnipeg

I was craving some Ukrainian perogies the other day, and I knew that there were a couple of places here in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada that sell them.  The Ukrainians have a strong presence here in the northern part of the city, so I started calling around.  The place that I was told to check out, "Alycia's", was unfortunately closed down.  The place I ended up going to was Ann's Perogey Palace, 204-586-7842.  I bought 9 dozen potato and cheddar cheese flavour (the most popular) and they were just made fresh that morning. Carol Anne, the store owner, told me that she took over the business from her Baba (Grandmother), Anne.  She handed me a "convenience card" she called it.  "It's not a business card, because I already have your business.  It's a card with our number on it for your convenience.  For those days that you want to call ahead so we can put your order aside".


3 dozen perogies, $5.25

She was telling me that in 1969, Nick, the sign painter, told her grandmother Anne, "Take out the 'e' from Anne, and put it into perogy, and they'll never call you Annie again".  So that's what she did.  Apparently Nick had a bit of a shake in his hands, and after a couple drinks, he had quite the steady hand.

MaryLou is Carol Anne's right hand woman, for the last 15 years.  Carol Anne taught her everything she knows, and MaryLou taught her how to make bannock.  MaryLou's background is First Nation and Yugoslavian.

There are quite a few items on the menu.  Carol Anne told me I should try the meat perogies next time (she was all sold out at 1pm).

She told me if I want to freeze the perogies, make sure that they are good and cold, in the fridge overnight, before they go into the freezer.  She said it's a good idea to check in on them when they are freezing, to keep them separated.  Says it may take 1.5 hours.

Ann's Perogey Palace Menu
413 Magnus Avenue, Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
204-586-7842

The prices are fair, and we had the perogies that night with homemade Italian sausage and green beans.  The perogies were really good.  Lightly spiced with a great cheesy taste, practically melted in our mouths.  Pre-cooked, all I had to do was put in the microwave with some butter, heat until soft in the middle.  If preferred, you can pan fry with onions and bacon.  Anne makes a pretty good perogy. Yum!

Perogies with sour cream, homemade Italian sausage
and steamed green beans.
Let Carol Anne know if you read this blog!

Check Trip Advisor for more details and reviews.

Have a great day!

~ Angela G. Gentile, MSW RSW

www.AngelaGGentile.com



1 comment:

marylou said...

i really like the meat and potatoe perogey and the baked buns are the best place your order today